Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Bubble, A Sunset, & A Kayak Walk Into a Bar...

New York City can be a bubble in many ways. You're breathing the same air that 15 million others breathe, touching the same subway railings, and pounding your feet against the same cement. At night, it's not unusual for me to come home feeling dirty and in need of a shower. 

While this may be one of the negatives of living in the city, I was able to get my fix of something important to me today: the water, waves, and blue sky. 
After catering for Haagen Dazs and working at my internship, my roommate and I made our way through the subway to the west side highway at Pier 96 at 56th Avenue. We went kayaking *for free* at the Downtown Boathouse, even though we were technically uptown (yeah. Confusing, right? ;-D) The water was a little choppy and we were basically called "sissies" by the boat owner, but we successfully paddled our way to the middle of the Hudson where we relaxed in the water, letting the heat of the afternoon sun beat down on us. It was amazing. The rolling waves made by passing barges left us relaxed, although our tummies growled and we daydreamed about our upcoming meal. We laid out to dry on the wooden pier, looking up at the clouds which looked like giant puffs of cotton and the river breeze cooled us and dried us. 


The West Side Highway runs from the Staten Island Ferry to the George Washington Bridge--about 12.5 miles. And let me tell you, if I lived in New York City and ever felt that bubble-feeling that I was feeling today, I would make my way there. It's a different side of the city-- one where worries disappear just like in a Jimmy Buffet song. It's no North Carolina beach, but it comes close and it's a different type of beautiful and there's actually some--dare I say-- nature. 
 
 
We walked up to 69th street where we ate dinner at an outdoor cafe at the end of a pier and it's probably one of my favorite places I've eaten while I was here. The pier i cafe had the best (and I'm picky) veggie burger with blue cheese. So delicious and it overlooked the beautiful Hudson as the sun sank lower and lower in the sky. 


We then made our way back to 42nd Street because today we had a real treat, Manhattanhenge. Twice a year, the sun perfectly aligns with 42nd Street at sunset, making a perfect setting for photographs.

I miss greenery. I miss the seafoam color of the sea beneath my feet. 

I love New York and  it has stolen a piece of my heart, but I know that if I lived here for an extended amount of time, I would have to escape like I did today to find that peace that exists with nature. I'm not a hippy, but I do think sometimes Mother Nature knows better than man. Industrialization can be beautiful, too, but in a different way. 


But it's even better when man and Mother Nature work together to produce nothing more than a beautiful sunset. 

 



And it's when you see these views that all your uncertainties and worries about your future or about your day drift away like cotton-ball puffs of clouds.
And cheers to Chinese for the first time last night in Chinatown-- delicious and so worth the $20.00. 


Until tomorrow. 

Peace. Love. NYC.
Carrie


Also, sticking with my relaxation for the day, I found a love for this group recently. Such peaceful music. Don't worry, I loaded my playlist at the bottom for you.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful blog entry! Wow, love the sunset pics.

    ReplyDelete