Friday, March 23, 2012

Every Moment

I’ve never been a warm weather person. In fact, if you asked me my favorite time of the year a couple months ago, I would have said it’s the months between fall and winter, when the temperatures begin to drop and you’re forced to pull out the boots, jackets, and long-sleeve shirts. I would have told you how much I loved the falling snow and the rosy cheeks of the faces peaking out of hooded coats.

But things have changed and I am digging warm weather. I’m happily pulling out my tank tops and shorts and soaking up rays like never before. Choosing to walk the 30 minutes to class instead of catching the bus. Running outside instead of going to the gym. Riding with the windows down and my arm perched on the outside of the car catching the beautiful sunshine.
Hello, warm weather. Hello, Spring. 

IMG_0942IMG_0945IMG_0953IMG_0937IMG_0963IMG_0967

Today was beautiful. 

I made a promise to myself that today would be  “Carrie Day”, which meant that it would be free from all anxiety about future plans, school, and uncertainty—something so consuming for me lately and something so out of my hands for this self-proclaimed control freak.

So this morning when I woke up, after having had such a great night watching The Hunger Games with several amazing friends, I filled my bag with blanket, sunscreen and Catching Fire and headed to the quad where I laid on the grass and chatted with friends. W decided to take part in a special UNC tradition today, Holi Moli, which had been on my bucket list for years. Holi Moli is a Hindu celebration of the end of the winter months and the beginning of spring, something I, too, have been celebrating. 

IMG_0969IMG_0973IMG_0975IMG_1007IMG_1016

And the progression of the colored powder, which when mixed with water creates paint, was amazing! So thankful that my friend, Trevor, captured it all on camera!

IMG_1018IMG_1021IMG_1022IMG_1024IMG_1026IMG_1030IMG_1032IMG_1042

And we were covered from head to toe!

IMG_1044IMG_1048IMG_1049IMG_1064IMG_1088IMG_1098IMG_1109

And when the paint had dried and hundreds of pictures had been snapped, we headed over to a barbeque to continue our quad sitting and support a good cause.

IMG_1111

Today was a reminder I needed.

I go to Carolina. It’s Spring. I have amazing, supportive friends. I have 6 weeks left with this experience. And I need to have days and nights and weeks that are exactly like today.

And to finish it all off--- an Elite 8 win! Go Tar Heels.

“I love UNC. I love the quad in spring and the arboretum in the fall. I love the Pit on a sunny day and Graham Memorial Lounge on a rainy one. I love Roy all the time. But what makes UNC truly special is not our beautiful campus, our distinguished reputation or even our basketball team. It’s us - the student body - who make UNC what it is.”

— Eve Marie Carson

Make every moment count.

No comments:

Post a Comment