Tuesday, July 26, 2011

“Sunny Day, Sweeping the Clouds Away…”

“… On my way to where the air is sweet.

Can you tell me how to gettttt…

…how to get to Sesame Street?”

 

When I was little I loved two shows: Barney and Sesame Street. Mostly Barney. But some Sesame Street. And when I went to Astoria, Queens this past weekend to go to the Museum of Moving Image (which I highly recommend), I calmly asked the guy behind the Starbucks counter next door where Sesame Street was filmed?

He looked at me as if I were dressed in an Elmo costume and retorted that he was an 18-year-old man and asked if I was Big Bird fan.

Why yes. Why yes, I am.

And I thanked him for bringing me to reality from the thought that the characters were just…you know, walking around town being filmed on the regular. Not the case.

The most sophisticated people I know -

inside they are all children

—Jim Henson

ANYWHO, Jim Henson, the creator of the Muppets and Sesame Street, was being featured at the Museum and the puppets were all there, too! I’m talking Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggie, and even Fozzie Bear!

I think my roommate was kind of taken aback when I literally screamed at the top of the stairs of the exhibit when I spotted THE Kermit the Frog.

Jim Henson was a genius and his life’s work was much more than Muppets, it was spreading the message of love, of knowledge, and of acceptance.

“It's not easy being green.”

---Kermit the Frog

That’s all for the day.

Good night.

FMP (For Miss Piggie),

Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment