Saturday, May 28, 2011

Riding Along in My Automobile, "Dolly" the GPS at the Wheel

Hey Y'all! (Sorry, I forgot my camera hookup for my computer in the car...and well, pics will just have to wait :-D )

I survived the nine hour drive to New York City! My parents brought me up to the city in order to move me in and I officially move in tomorrow at 9am. My dad decided that we would break the trip up into 2 days. Our GPS, named after the one and only Dolly Parton, led the way despite her last use being about 3-4 years ago in Los Angeles. 

Friday we traveled approximately 6 hours to Baltimore, Maryland. We stayed in a hotel about 15 minutes from the inner harbor in Baltimore. Once we had enjoyed the managers happy hour, we drove over the harbor in order to eat at Phillips Crab House. I am allergic to seafood and cannot even eat anything fried in the same oil as seafood, but I enjoyed my favorite wedge salad and bread which was yummy! I love blue cheese! We sat outside and the weather was BEAUTIFUL, but then quickly a storm came up and forced us inside because of the pouring rain. There was a man playing the piano and believe it or not, the man was playing COUNTRY music. What? WHAT?! He began playing "Friends in Low Places", which is a personal favorite of the Dobbins fam. We sang along and even though it was only 7 o'clock, there were a few people in that place who were dancing along. Wow, oh, wow... We came back to the hotel and slept in and got a yummy breakfast... (You will find, I am all about the food...And I am not afraid to admit it).

Here's the thing: I am a terrible, terrible traveler. I am fine once we get somewhere, but I hate the in-between. I cannot sit still for THAT long and be okay. But...we left Baltimore and moved towards Jersey City, our next destination. I can tell you the traffic here is unbelievable because of the holiday weekend. Stop. Go. Stop. Go. Stop. That was the pattern of our journey today.

We got to our Double Tree Hotel and decided to immediately go to Little Italy in New York for some REAL Italian food. Okay, that was my decision. We are staying in a hotel that is close to the river and you can see the entire city of New York across the water (It is beautiful and I'll post pics tomorrow). We caught a cab and went over to the Washington Square area (which is where I am living!) and there was an unbelievable festival going on with crafts everywhere. Dad bought some fancy ties. The city is packeddddddddd, but amazingly beautiful and I know I am going to be taking so many pictures.

So if you haven't figured out, I am so excited about food in NYC. I HEART Food Network and I watch all these great chefs make food that I cannot eat/make because I haven't had a kitchen the last few years. But that's about to change. At this Italian restaurant, I had Caprese (which is various tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella) for antipasti. Then I had ravioli with cheese, zucchini, basil, and cherry tomatoes with a balsamic butter sauce. Oh-my-gaaaaaash. Last, we had...(and I am not kidding) a flatbread that had nutella baked inside and then mascarpone melted on top (a dessert cheese). Okay. whoa. So Good.  And now, it is almost 9 o'clock and I am already in my pajamas because we have to get up early tomorrow morning and I am ready to move in.

SO MUCH to write about Tomorrow!

Peace. Love. New York City,
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment