Friday, January 6, 2012

Pay It Forward!

My college experience cannot be described without simultaneously describing UNC Dance Marathon. I cannot express to you how much this organization has meant to me over the last four years.

Before coming to Carolina I signed up to go to Freshman Camp, which was a 3-day experience where over 100 first-years came together and talked to professors, current students, and each other about what the next four years were going to be like. We bonded over being silly during a food fight and we also cried together when we played Crossing Lines.

I met some of my closest friends at Carolina those few days at Freshman Camp. But something more came out of that experience. The counselors were all very-involved students at Carolina and my counselor just so happened to be Taylor Scott. Taylor was a rising junior at the time and talked to me about signing up to be on a committee for UNC Dance Marathon.

Fast forward about a month and guess who I receive an e-mail from saying that I was on her Fundraising Projects committee? None other than Taylor!

From the beginning Taylor was inspiring. She had a love for this organization that I really cannot describe. She was literally the most sincere person I have met at Carolina and I still talk about those "good ol' days" my freshman year on her committee with some of the people who (including myself) have been on that same committee for the last 4 years. We have all been through 3 (almost 4) twenty-four hour marathons together. To explain to you how much this organization has meant to me would take days. I have so many fond memories from the last 3.5 years.

In the next six weeks, the UNC Dance Marathon's Overall Committee will be preparing for our February 17-18th marathon. It will be my last marathon and will be incredibly emotional-- but I am so ready! I am filled with hope that it will be such a huge succeess. I have met some of the most incredible friends along the way-- so it's already been so successful.

So many families have been impacted from the UNC Dance Marathon.
Like Jake's Family:

(Jake pictured with his sister. Photo belongs to UNC Dance Marathon)

Like Jack's Family:


(photo courtesy of UNC Dance Marathon)

For Paige and her Family:


And many, many more...

UNC Dance Marathon is a year-long fundraiser and the money funds 13 different grants at the N.C. Children's Hospital. Last year alone, UNC Dance Marathon raise $437,000. The majority of the money goes to the For the Kids fund, which covers costs of patients and families that are not covered by insurance or Medicare. We are so fortunate to get to help so many and take burdens off of families so that the only thing they need to worry about is helping their child get better.

As Fundraising Projects Chair for the 2012 marathon, I am asking for your help. It's my goal to raise $2,400 for the N.C. Children's Hospital. You can donate securely online at my Firstgiving page or you can donate through my home address (e-mail me at uncdobbins19@gmail.com to get my address.

Thank you so much for your donation! Please visit our website, http://www.uncmarathon.org/, to learn more about our 13 grants.

Wish me luck in the upcoming 6 weeks!! If the link to my Firstgiving page doesn't work above, it is: http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/carriedobbins/supporter

For the Kids,
Carrie Dobbins

No comments:

Post a Comment