Monday, August 22, 2011

One More Time

DSC02416

I made my way through the crowds to get a seat on the grassy quad a couple hours ago to enjoy UNC’s Sunset Serenade. The night before classes start (FDOC Eve) everyone huddles together for a fun tradition. You go to enjoy great music as the Carolina Blue Sky turns into a navy heaven speckled with stars. And you’re not alone. You’re surrounded by students from all over the campus ranging from Class of 2012 to Class of 2015. And as I listened and sang along to the voices from the acappella groups, it hit me. I’m a senior. I’m doing everything one last time.

DSC02411

It’s like the final chapter of a book before they suddenly grow up and have kids in the exposition.

It’s like the “99 bottles of beer on the wall” song and you’re on the slow part of the song where it goes “one bottle….of beer on…the wall”. And then everyone cries ‘cuz it’s over…

Anybody?

Ok, well, that’s my best reference to what I’m feeling.

****

Anywhooo…

This weekend I babysat and Jake got my camera at the park. He really captured the experience there.

DSC02374DSC02375DSC02376DSC02377DSC02378DSC02379DSC02382DSC02388DSC02393DSC02396DSC02399DSC02372

There are plenty more, trust me. The butt shot is always so appealing.

****

I forgot how easily it is to get back in the swing of life in Chapel Hill. I’m talking you go from enjoying the beautiful day at Washington Square this summer to emails, meetings, be here, be there. It’s slightly overwhelming. But in a good way. I know I have a purpose. I’m needed again. I have a schedule again. I LIKE IT.

This year is going to be amazing.

Last night was Fall Fest. The sky threatened a little bit. But we weren’t scared.

DSC02400DSC02403

Imagine every student organization on campus lined up in a half mile stretch of road and then that same road filled with every student on campus and badda-bing you have the madness and thrill of Fall Fest. First-Years come out to sign up for as many organizations as they possibly can and then the rest of campus comes out for, what else? Free stuff.

DSC02404

So with two clipboards in hand, a poster, and Anna Beth by my side, we stood in the middle of all of these students screaming for every student to sign up for the “best one-night stand of their lives”.

…I’m talking about UNC Dance Marathon, people. Sheesh!

It was great that so many people already knew about our organization and it was an amazing reminder of why we do what we do. Raise money for the patients and their families at the hospital.

Fall Fest is a whole ball of passion and enthusiasm. The First-Years come in excited about life.

And I soak enthusiasm up.

****

This week I learned how to parallel park and I took a picture. Afterwards, I looked and the people I came with had literally run away embarrassed. Well, I was proud of myself. They told me not to blog about. So I did anyway. This goes out to Emily and Holly.

DSC02334

****

Welcome back friends.

DSC02412DSC02415DSC02344DSC02350DSC02401

DSC02353

Welcome back Old Well.

DSC02408

Welcome back FDOC

Here we go, Carolina. One More Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment