Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Hey Y'all. Will You Hire Me, Please?

It is sizzlin' in the city!! There is a heat wave taking over! 

**Jefferson Market P
ublic Library-- Beautiful!**
  

Today was a day of firsts! I got up, went to the NYU gym (which is DEF a first in a long time). The gym is about a mile's walk from here. Therefore, I only stayed 45 minutes at the gym itself and did NOT feel badly at alllll. It is super nice and all the elliptical machines have individual TV sets. Holy 21st Century! I was laughed at for watching "The Price is Right", an amazing show that no one gives a chance. :-D

Later, I went to eat lunch at the cafeteria for the first time. I couldn't believe how small it is. I also couldn't believe that they CLOSED Chick-fil-a for the summer. Excuse me, what? The cows are asking for it... I left the cafeteria and did some more job searching and application pick-ups. I am applying to The Children's Place, Ann Taylor Loft, Crumbs Cupcake Shop, Haagen Daas, WichCraft and Crate&Barrel, all of which have extensive applications. I WAS going to apply for Gap: Women, butttt they filled the position by the time I got home. And I am just hoping that all this application process ends in a job/money!

On the search for this book: 

The Hunger Games. I have heard about 50 people mention it via Facebook, Twitter, Magazines, etc. WHAT is the deal with this book? So I decided to check out NYU's library to see if they had it. They did, but I can't go there unless I pay the fee of $25.00 for 3 visits to the library because I'm not taking classes. RIDICULOUS. So I went to the public library, which is beautiiiiiiiful, old, and gothic. They were renovating and the whole fiction section was "under construction". The waitlist for The Hunger Games was 248 people long. Then I went to Barnes and Noble over on the Avenue of the Americas. They had just sold out and the man at the check-out said to go to the Barnes and Noble 4-5 blocks away because they had just received a shipment. At that Barnes and Noble, I waited in line behind 10 people who were waiting for the books to come out of the box they had been shipped in. Finally, I have it my possession. Luckily it's in paperback! And luckily I own it so you can borrow it whenever you want (after I read it)!

Biggest Obstacle of NYC thus far: I am truly one of the most independent people you will ever meet. I like to do things on my own and on my own time. But I'm also used to be surrounded by friends and it's been difficult not knowing anyone. No students/interns are at NYU yet. I have had to learn to do something I've never done before: eat alone. This is a foreign concept and I had to do it twice today. It's helping me grow as a person and become more comfortable with being in my own company.

Tomorrow I am going to finish turning in applications and go to lunch with a friend from UNC. (Finallllly someone to eat lunch with!) And Thursday, another friend from Chapel Hill is coming to spend the night and we are going up to Times Square together! And then Friday, I'm showing HER around even though she's lived here all her life. ;-)

**The public library used to be the old city hall. Right now it is all under scaffolding because they are renovating it. It was built in 1875 and the stairs are winding! :) Two out of the three floors are under construction right now and blocked off.

1 comment: