Sunday, August 14, 2011

Happy Birth-- Err, Moving Day!

Friday was spent filling up the U-Haul.

It all had to go in the truck.

When you’re moving, you continually ask yourself, “Self, will I really use this?”

And about 99.9/100 times for me, the answer will always be a resounding “YES!”

“Maybe I’ll use this for UNC Dance Marathon. Maybe I’ll have a squirrel come over and want to have a tea party and use real china. Or what if a leprechaun comes over and insists that I dress in a full St. Patty’s Day attire?”

Oh, I’ll be ready.

Moving is kind of the bain of my existence. It’s stressful and painful. You have to get organized. Or you could always do what I do and stuff everything into a box and hope that there will be some place in your room to store it. There are too many “ifs, ands, and buts"—and I’m not really a fan of those things.

****

So being the awesome daughter that I am, I decided to move on my Dad’s birthday. Now, I know, I can hear all of you gasping from behind your computers. I got it. I’ve heard it all. I will never do it again. This is a solemn promise to my dad.

moving in 169

moving in 182

So, we celebrated Dad’s birthday on Friday night after Heather, Chris and Collin made their way from Wilmington. As always, I made a cake with a new recipe. The cake was called “Better than _____ Chocolate cake” and consisted of a rich pudding-based cake with pecans and a whole bag of chocolate chips. On top was penuche (caramel) frosting. It wasn’t the prettiest cake but it was yummy,yummy!

moving in 183

Collin proceeded to take every one of my Dad’s cards, because cards are the best. We are a card family for sure.

moving in 176

moving in 179

And he helped open all the presents.

moving in 180

And tested them out.

moving in 181

Dad received a cooler and a tool chest for the beach and some golf attire. I should have gotten him a more suitable t-shirt.

moving in 170

It was a great celebration.

Happy Birthday, Dad! I love you!! And, thank you!

moving in 174

****

Moving Day arrived. The sun was shining over the U-haul when I woke up that morning…

We made our way up the Chapel Hill in a 4-runner, an X-terra, another car and the U-haul followed behind.

Clouds began to threaten our move.

Then rain—all afternoon.

Grass and mud tracked its way into the house and my millions of boxes that held all the treasures that I “needed” just made for what looked like an impossible task to accomplish.

All the furniture in, Heather and Chris left while Mom, Dad, and I set up the room.

Look how good it looks now:

moving in 191

moving in 198

My clothes line of old black-and-white photos above my desk.

moving in 199moving in 201

moving in 202

moving in 204

moving in 205

The pic above is for my dad—you should never doubt my ability to hang pictures Winking smile

moving in 207

moving in 209

moving in 215moving in 216moving in 212

My goal for my room was to make it homey. I wanted a place that I could  go and not be stressed about the world outside and I think that I created that. I just keep looking around the room prideful. It expresses so much of me, especially all the pictures because I took most of them. I also have black-and-white photos everywhere that make me really happy. Old pictures of Jackie Kennedy, old war scenes, and dance marathons from the 1940s. It all makes me happy.

And my red accents aren’t too shabby either, eh?

Little Red Table needs a lamp, but for right now, framed pictures on top will do.

It feels so great to be back in Chapel Hill. I woke up this morning happier.

This is my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment